COMAT is a Research Group at the Department of Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry of the University of Genoa.
Our research focus is to model materials by means of computational techniques, possibly supported by experimental investigations, in order to improve fundamental knowledge and solve application problems.
Thermodynamic modelling according to the CALPHAD approach is applied to complex multi-phase, multi-component materials including alloys, ceramics, and more, in order to calculate phase equilibria, thermodynamic properties, phase interactions, etc.
An important part of the research activity is the development of thermodynamic databases for high temperature materials. Among them is GHEA (GenovaHEA), a multi-purpose database conceived for high themperature alloys such as Superalloys and HEAs.
Typical subjects recently investigated are:
• Search for new HEAs for high temperature applications by experimentally validated thermodynamic calculations
• Thermodynamic phase models for selected TCP (Topologically Close Packed) phases
• Metal-ceramic interfacial interactions between HEAs and zirconia in view of biomedical applications
• Thermodynamic simulation of high temperature behaviour of superalloy coatings (CoNiCrAlY family)
• Thermodynamic simulation of high temperature TBC (Thermal Barrier Coatings) - CMAS (Ca, Mg, Al Silicates) interactions, supported by experiments
• Interfacial interactions between moulds and liquid alloys for application to superalloy casting